Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Healed With A Hug

Sebastian behaviors continue to happen every night. He ran to the front door & barricaded it with the dog cage when Scott was arriving home. Sebastian threw toys & food at him minutes later, chasing him around the house. Last night he jumped around in 3 baskets of clean laundry yelling, "Clean laundry! Clean laundry!" Tonight while he was in a 100mph rage he followed Scott into the garage and came back with Willow's brand new Hello Kitty bike.. riding it through the kitchen. I got up from trying to get Willow down. She followed me in to see what was going on.. "My kitty bike!!" This craziness is upsetting in many different ways. When I see it very clearly impacting the other 2 kids, it hurts. He threw a water bottle at Judah tonight. Judah actually came to get me when this madness was taking off. We're looking into therapy.

I told Scott to separate himself from Sebastian.. Sebastian was running through the house with a bag of pretzel sticks, flinging it around in the air. I grabbed Sebastian and held him, he curled up on the floor, halfway pretending to get away and still screaming. I just held him and then started rubbing his back and continued to hold him for a long time. He calmed down. I didn't say a word. My tears started dropping onto the top of his head, but he couldn't see me, he didn't know I was crying. After much more silence, I told him that he was a good boy and told him how great he had done in karate tonight.. we also talked about his behaviors that had just occurred as we sat on the floor & ate pretzel sticks. He was okay after that. I was trying hard to think in "little kid" mode and talk to him in a way that would allow him to visualize and grab a better understanding of what I was trying to get across. It seemed to be sinking in. Of course, I'm sure it's not over. But I think, after our talk, that he may consider thinking in a new direction when he starts getting upset. And I definitely see a new option for us to use in helping him calm down. Kids need to be held & loved.. probably most so in situations you wouldn't assume could be healed with a hug. But as parents, that's something we should all see naturally.. why don't we?? I hope this remains crystal clear in my mind & comes to me naturally when these things happen. I love my kids so much, to the moon and back... and through the galaxies of complications & chaotic situations along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment