Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Screaming Slugs in the Garden

Today was superkalalicious for Judah & his speaking skills! This morning Willow and Judah were sitting by me in bed. Willow said, "Judah hit her eye." I think he had her doll or something. Judah responded, "Her eye?" Willow didn't say a word.. then she said, "Judah talk. Judah's talking!" I didn't know that she understood his speaking skills weren't up to par, but apparently she was well aware of that & caught one of those little moments when Judah responds to someone out of nowhere. I heard lots of requests & he made a lot of choices. He was very affectionate & active most of the day. He stayed dry in his underwear. I can't remember if I heard sentences but I would bet anything that I did.. he was a star today & seemed very aware of it! Judah made a friend in the waiting area at the doctor visit. He followed another little boy around and did all of the same motions the little boy did. The little boy pointed to the fish outside in the water and told Judah what they were. Later the little boy approached Judah, wanting to walk around some more. It was really cool to watch. He had a lot of firsts today - that was one (the communication between them was working somehow). I can't remember what the other firsts were - I just remember telling the helper "that's a first" probably two other times!!! I bet the singing Wall-e music with total confidence to everyone was one of the 2 firsts.

Judah had a doctor visit this afternoon. Our new helper (regular M-Th) went with us. Good checkup, nothing to report. We had to make an appointment for her to write a letter (more like a note) saying that she thinks he needs a weighted vest, blanket, etc. This letter goes to disability & they take it from there. The weighted items help to calm. He likes the pressure. They may also act to help him sit still & stay in one spot if he is all over the place. A friend let us borrow her weighted blanket - we did see results from that. He stayed in bed!! haha. He had gotten up 20 times directly after we put him to bed. Finally I remembered the weighted blanket. He didn't get up until really early morning (his usual time) after that blanket went on him. They tried the vest in speech last weekend. I wasn't there but Scott said he didn't think it did much.

Judah's eye drops done today.

Sebastian went miniature golfing with Papa today. Then they came back & worked on the garden. All the kids of course ended up "helping" with that. Dave put down walnut shells & something else to deter the slugs that are feasting on the garden. Supposedly when they try to go over the walnut shells it is painful for them. Screaming slugs in the garden tonight...

Judah was on a real Wall-e kick today!! He sang the theme song all day long! And got better at it the more he practiced.. "Out there!!! Full of shine & full of sparkle..." He wanted to watch the movie a second time this morning. We searched through all of our books for the Wall-e book - never found it! We were finally able to deter him with Angry Birds. Then I remembered the Wall-e soundtrack.. but didn't get around to that until after the doc appointment (the morning flew by). I put in the soundtrack & his eyes lit up. After it played he started chasing me around with Sebastian's Wall-e (about 1/3 the size of Judah). He carried that around ALL DAY LONG. He continued to beg me for Wall-e. Finally I agreed to put it back on. But he wouldn't let me put the movie in! I held up the soundtrack & told him, "Listen to music? Or watch movie?" He picked the soundtrack.. and loved it. I put it on for him while he took his bath tonight. He ordered me out of the bathroom several times. He sang along to the few songs that involve singing & acted out the scenes to a lot of the music. He hasn't seen that movie in a LONG time & just started watching it again yesterday. But he could very easily remember what the character's were doing when any specific song played - songs that sound something like electronic tools, orchestra, Wall-e noises, the random keyboard noises that aren't keyboard sounds & maybe throw in some cell phone alarm choices... combine that all & spread it out amongst 32 songs. Remembering what the characters are doing for each song is HELLA impressive. I watched from the cracked door while he was acting these things out & singing. He was very into it, looking up and smiling as if he were looking up at the spaceship in the movie. His smile was very real, very happy. He looked like he was just in awe.

At the doctor he picked out a "Turbo" (movie) sticker to take home. It's a picture of a snail. I'm predicting that to be the next movie once Wall-e fades... IF he fades.

Got Judah's school info. He'll be at a new school, but still not far. Of course new teacher, weird days (only 2 of course) & long list of very needed but VOLUNTARY supply list, haha. I'll bring some - but my goal throughout the year is to make sure they never run out of Rice Chex & Veggie Straws.

At the support group meeting the other day one of the women spoke about WESD and how awesome they are. She said she talked with her kid's teacher on the phone every day after class for 30 minutes!! She said her son had really good progress, etc. Through conversation we realized that our boys were in the same class. !?!?!??!!!!!!!! We talked about the bus issues we had. She had the same of course. There were days when her son was not picked up. They kept sending him on the bus though. There was only one parent that took their kid to school & picked him up except myself. That's why I had never seen her.

The new girl wants to take advantage of the picture cards I have made over the years & the sign language stuff we have. She knows sign language. She is in school, ultimately focused on being an English teacher for the deaf. We have wanted to help Judah learn sign language for a  long time. We've wanted to do so many things. They aren't all possible - we'd have to drop 20 to make it successfully through one big one like that, but I'd still try. I'm so glad she's here!! She also has experience working with autistic children & has a younger bro (26) who is on the spectrum. That also was very nice to hear. She worked well with Judah today. It was HOT today. I mentioned to her that I lived in Phoenix for 10 years - and that living there was much worse than the heat we had today. Somehow it's still feels like the same level of misery though, don't know why. Anyway, she immediately tells me that she had lived in Phoenix for EIGHTEEN years! She's got me beat by far. She's got the whitey white skin like me... I don't know how either one of us survived that place.

Judah saw his pediatrician today, ran up to her and hugged her leg. It was kind of awkward though because she had a long skirt on & he pulled it up above her knee to hug her! I didn't know what he was going to do!! Very unexpected, haha. An MA came in at the end of the appointment. She was wearing bright red scrubs - her top was covered in hearts & flowers. He saw her & said, "Pretty!!" Then he dashed across the room to her & gave her a big hug! She was so happy - like very genuinely happy, i'm guessing that could have easily made her day.

Judah pooped first thing this morning & later this afternoon. The helper was able to see how he acts before he poops - signs that he needs a diaper, so that was good.

Sebastian earned 2 stars on his chart today - he swept & put away the dishes. He really wanted to wash the dishes (he enjoys that), but there wasn't time. Scott & I made up a list of ways he can earn a star.. we came up with 23. If I can find it I will paste it in here. I printed up the list, laminated it, cut out each job & hole punched them all. Then I put them a a carabeaner & hung it next to his door. He never noticed it though. He was in such "go, go, go!" mode that he would have tried to get in as many as possible in one night had I showed him the cards I made... and I wasn't ready for that. I deterred his energy with making birthday gifts for Gramma. That took up a lot of time. He will need to do at least one of each job we came up with as he fills up his stars. He actually got a 3rd star today for no time-outs, but he isn't aware of it yet - that's one from the list.

This is such a ramble. I'm not even going to read it again. I apologize if parts don't make sense... I can explain them clearly if you are really interested though. ;) Just leave me a comment... you'll be my 4th comment if you do!

Meds Completed

  • Vitamin D3 2000 IU one daily(morning)
  • bethanechol 25 mg 1/2 tablet 2/day
  • Probiotic 1 daily in morning
  • DMG 125 mg w/Folinic Acid &Methyl b-12 3 capsules in morning
  • WP Minerals 1/day
  • Sleep factor
  • Creon (pancrilipase)
  • his b-12 shot 
  • Oxy-Mag Powder 1/2 teaspoon 1/day
  • Molasses 1 tsp in almond milk
  • Organic coconut butter 1-3 tsp/day  - 1 tsp
  • Levocarnitin 10% 1 Tablespoon 15MLS every morning
  • Iron up 1 tsp/day










  • Meds not complete - 
    • DOCU 150/15ML Liq Hi-Tech 2 MLS/twice a day (only got one dose, ran out - may be stopping this med and switching to tsp. mineral oil/day)
    • Folinic acid to add to b-12 shot (we're out)

    Meds didn't take -
    • Beta TCP 1-4 daily
    • Powder B-6 1/2 tsp (fridge mix) every 3-5 days 
    • Fish Oil 
    • skin rash med not needed
    • Miralax

    No comments:

    Post a Comment