Friday, April 25, 2014

The Fiesta Friday Heartbreaker!

Judah was trying to use "more" and "I want" in longer sentences. Words were fumbling around, just not coming out the way that he was trying to say them. I can't even imagine the magnitude of frustration that would surge through me if I were experiencing that. He's a fighter, and he fights more when you believe in him.

We bought a rocking chair from a guy in our neighborhood for 5 bucks tonight. It's big. It's nothing pretty, but it's really nice mentally. I had Judah in my lap and we rocked for quite a while this evening on the front porch. It seemed to soothe him. We didn't stop until he said, "down", looked me in the eye and told me, "want". He was letting me know that he was about to get down, it was very sweet.

"That's funny." Willow says this often, it's so cute. "Bastian's funny." I was trying to get her to sleep tonight & she looked up at me and said, "Mommy" and then closed her eyes. That somehow made all my worries just melt away.

Gramma cleaned the house while I volunteered at Sebastian's school. WOW. I came home & wondered if we had been gone for days, not hours. Thank you so much Mom!!!!!!!!!!!

Judah tried his brand new Thomas Ultra e-book. He seemed to really enjoy it. Navigating those learning games has not been an issue for him yet, at all. Susan- I forgot to tell you that we bought that.

Judah had a couple messy poops. Unfortunately one of those happened when Gramma was here, a big one. And she STILL managed to clean the house. That poop alone would have taken me hours! Not to mention taking care of Judah & Willow too! I'm baffled Mom. Was someone else here????

Judah wasn't cooperative about going to the bathroom today. It took some physical motivation to get him headed in that direction. Once there, the picture strip didn't work the magic it did yesterday - but he was still looking at it & from his annoyed face & sounds, I'm sure he was understanding it. I didn't use a lot of verbalization to get him to the bathroom. He was trying to predict when I would tell him again that he needed to go potty, he would get upset and fall to the floor.. and then look up & realize I hadn't even said anything. He hasn't been in underwear often enough lately.. must work on that.

Today was Volunteer Appreciation Day at Harritt. As we drove into school, we could hear chanting from both sides of the road, "VAH-LUN-TEERS! VAH-LUN-TEERS!" These groups of kids were holding huge banners that they had made. Sebastian was sort of in shock. He walked out of the van with his mouth open & his eyes looking everywhere but forward. After I dropped him off, I searched for a parking spot, then headed inside.

Once inside the school, I headed to Sebastian's classroom to drop off his Star of the Week items. His class was lined up & leaving the classroom when I got there. Fiesta Friday was starting in the gym! Sebastian always looks forward to Fiesta Friday. He was super happy that Mommy was going to experience it today!

Music played as everyone entered the gym (it was the song Sebastian always sings very loudly at home). Once all of the students were settled, the principal called off the names of all of the school volunteers, very rapidly. I couldn't believe how many names he had rattled off. Then he took a big breath and said, "Okay, C's.." It was unreal how many volunteers were on that list! Especially for such a small elementary school! For some reason, there were only a handful  of volunteers that showed for the Fiesta Friday celebration. I went to the front when my name was called & accepted my awards. Then some of the chosen volunteers attempted to score a goal on the principal as he acted as a goalie inside a standard size soccer net. The principal is a pretty healthy guy. Getting a ball past him wasn't an easy feat. After that came the dancing. Sebastian got to come to the front & dance with me to all of the songs. Everything happening during Fiesta Friday was in Spanish by the way. Every single teacher there was full of energy, smiles & fun.. it was pretty amazing.

After the big celebration I stopped at the lobby for coffee & snacks. I talked with the principal for quite a while after the subject of bilingual parents came up (he was talking to another parent at the time). I interrupted & told him that Scott & I were not bilingual and were a bit nervous about helping Sebastian & communicating with him to support his knowledge of Spanish in the next year and beyond. He basically said that Spanish speaking parents who send their kids to English schools feel the same way - OK, no kidding. Then he added that an idea had come up at the last Parent Club meeting - apparently they were considering having a weekly meeting to help parents in this situation. But they didn't know what time/day would work for everyone. He made it sound as if they had already decided to shoot down this idea. I told him the school could send out information, including the times & days these meetings could potentially take place & ask people to circle the time/day that would work best for them - majority rules. I told him that there were probably a lot of parents like me who were not aware that this idea was being considered & who would make time to participate in these meetings because it is a very important issue! It was like brain-storming with Sebastian's principal- completely not what I was expecting to do this morning. He said they could do emails (to save money probably) and put all of the Parent Club meeting notes in the emails. I'm betting he will follow through in some fashion. I told him that we never make the Parent Club meetings due to schedules, but if the school was to offer weekly bilingual help to parents, my husband and I would make the time to go. Then I realized that I was supposed to be volunteering in Sebastian's class... and he was going to do his Star of the Week presentation... and I took off!

In Sebastian's classroom..
The teacher asked the kids to come up with 4 or 5 sentences that describe Sebastian & she wrote them down on a huge piece of paper in front of the class. She did the same for the other kid. There are 2 Stars due to the class size. She displayed these papers on each side of the room. There were 3 tables which each had a pile of papers labeled "Sebastian" & 3 tables for the other kid (who happened to be Sebastian's good friend, Chace). The kids each picked a sentence about Sebastian from the huge paper the teacher had just made & wrote it on their paper, and then they drew/colored something related to that above their sentence. They did the same for Chace. The teacher's assistant bound all of these papers into a book for Sebastian to take home. After that Sebastian presented the items he had brought to school - see videos below. Then the teacher read & showed the papers that the students had just made - every single one of them. It was pretty incredible. He had a long presentation!

Sebastian's Star of the Week presentation!

http://youtu.be/KQaZZITenr4

http://youtu.be/XG4zBfJE2KU

http://youtu.be/rklClE0oGmQ

The "reading buddies" came in next (2nd and 3rd graders). They were going to read to the Kindergartners. One reading buddy per one or two Kindergartners. Sebastian & another student sat with a 2nd grader (I'm guessing) and listened to him quickly read a book in Spanish. Sebastian looked bored out of his mind. I kept telling him to listen & pointed at the book. But I really didn't get the point of this if the Kinders weren't participating. I would be bored too.

We walked out of class & the teacher stopped me .. "Did you know that Sebastian is the class heartbreaker? ALL of the girls have crushes on him. They all want to marry him! I think it's because he is so nice. It is so cute!!" Ha! No, I did not know that!

We forgot Judah's B-12 injection yesterday. We will do that shortly.

Judah took the new med, Oxymag today, one teaspoon in his smoothie. Judah had 1 tablespoon (one dose) of his prescribed L-carnitine. He had 2 doses of Docusate Sodium, 2000 i.u. vitamin d, three tablets 125 mg folinic acid with b-12, 1 tsp. fish oil, no probiotic & no nose drops (preparing for lab). He had one Miralax. He had 1 of his sleep pills - Magnesium Citramate 135 mg. That was crushed & mixed into his nightly applesauce dessert. He had 1/2 Bethanechol 2 times today.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment